19

When the fox started speaking, Les immediately relaxed. The fox noticed her tension ease, and walked around to sit directly in front of the girl who’d just tripped over itself.
“You are not afraid of me. Have you seen another talking fox who meant you no harm or something? Most people cower in fear.”
“Sorry to disappoint. Do you really think I should fear you?”
The fox smiled at the girl. “I like you. And no, I can’t really harm you any more than a dumb animal could physically. This is a little but not much. Besides, I am not dumb and have no desire to get dirty.”
Les started to smile and almost laughed.
“Have you, always been able to talk?”
The fox noticed the emphasis on the word ‘you’ in her question, so formulated it’s response accordingly. “I have been able to talk for as long as I can remember. And I am the only fox I kno of who can speak. Have you meat many animals who can speak?”
“No.” Les answered truthfully. She had not met many, only two and on the same day. “How many of you are there; animals that can speak?”
“I know of only four others besides myself.”

No comments:

Post a Comment