25

“I assure you, I have no idea what you mean.” She said to Fence as he descended his lookout. “Besides, Fred didn’t go looking for me. I think. We happened upon each other.” She said then turned to Fred for confirmation. “Right?”
Fred was taken off guard again. “What? Um, yeah, yeah, I just stumbled upon her.” He smiled foolishly.
Fence made a ‘you’re an idiot face’ at him, but let it go. “Anyways. Pops seems fine now. Bromney’s probably been doing strange experiments again. And it’s knocked pop off kilter, or sommat.” He winked at her. “Anywho. Hey Fred, you see Lauren today? Whooooie! You know what I’m sayin’? ...” They were obviously done with her, so she excused herself.
“Well, I’m going to go now. If I’m not needed anymore...” They didn’t flinch or notice she’d spoken. “Okay then.” And she continued on her way.
The rest of her short journey, she did the best to avoid running into anyone else, which wasn’t very hard. There were only three other possible peoples she could have run into, and only one of them looked to be home. But Mrs. Miller seemed busy tending her garden, and her back was turned so Les went quietly and quickly by.

No comments:

Post a Comment